Cleaning Electronic Scales
Here's a list of things you should never ever do to your electronic scale, followed by some advice on how to clean your scale safely.
* Never ever water-blast any scale, even if it is rated as 'water resistant' - this will destroy the electrical system as effectively as dropping it in a bathtub full of water!
And never immerse your electonic scale in water to clean it.
* Do not use any harsh cleaning compounds, such as hyperchlorites, on the scales when you're cleaning them, and please remove your scales from areas that are being cleaned with harsh chemicals
- this is because the fumes, mainly chlorine, can even penetrate into a water resistant scale and cause corrosion.
* Please treat your electronic scale as carefully as you would treat your cellphone - they are both sophisticated electronic instruments.
A good cleaning procedure is to
1. Create a designated cleaning area and always take your scales there to clean them.
2. Wipe the scale over with warm water and a mild detergent such as dish washing liquid.
3. For harder cleaning a rag soaked in methylated spirits is suitable.
4. Avoid too much cleaning around labels as they will come off over time.
5. For larger scales with a removable stainless top cover, this can be taken off and cleaned more rigorously - provided there are no electronics attached to it.
6. Dry off with a soft clear, and store in a dry area if possible.